Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Better brakes. . . time for an upgrade

  1. #1
    Inactive Member 217gsr's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 22nd, 2001
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Currently, I'm using Axxis pads on Brembo stock-sized cross-drilled/slotted rotors. The combination looks good, but I feel that it doesn't stop much better than stock.

    I'd like to improve braking feel and overall stopping power. The only thing that I am definate about purchasing are stainless steel brake lines (Goodridge?) and new fluid (Neo High Performance?).

    I've been curious though, about some of the board members that went with Type R-sized rotors and calipers. I believe a lot of you went through Fastbrakes.com. Can those of you who have the kit or know others who have the kit comment on it? Do I need a new master cylinder??

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 08, 2003 12:04 AM: Message edited by: 217gsr ]</font>

  2. #2
    Inactive Member grand600intercooled's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 3rd, 2003
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I use the hawk HPS compound pads on stock rotors and have found them to be alot better than other pads. I can autocross with no brake fade and do continuous stops from 120+ mph with no fade. They need alittle heat in them to work well though. stop light to stoplight stops require a little more pedal effort, but when they get hot they have awesome stopping power. axxis pads and aem pads are almost the same as factory. my 2 cents

  3. #3
    Inactive Member The LS Avenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2000
    Posts
    417
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I did the front TypeR upgrade through fastbrakes, works as expected, you can keep the stock MC but you will loose some pedal feel, no doubt, but when I combined those with (dusty) EBC greenstuff pads, the braking was positively violent (but in a good way, heh). Supposedly stainless lines would have helped in the pedal feel issue, I never got to find out [img]frown.gif[/img]
    Nothing like OEM parts, IMHO.

    Probably a non issue, but your spare tire donut might not fit anymore after a "big brake" upgrade.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member CivicR's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 8th, 1999
    Posts
    901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    Also consider with the Type-R upgrade you will not be able to fit most drag or stock rims either.

    [ July 08, 2003 03:38 PM: Message edited by: CivicR ]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 08, 2003 03:39 PM: Message edited by: CivicR ]</font>

  5. #5
    Inactive Member 217gsr's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 22nd, 2001
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I don't carry my spare anymore, as I have aftermarket 16" rims. [img]wink.gif[/img]

    I've pretty much decided on the Goodridge stainless steel lines. Does that come in a pack of 2 or 4? Because if it's only 2, then I might just go with the Comptech stainless lines and get all 4 for about the same price.

    In a past post, Mark said to ask 96IntegraRS (Chuck) about stainless steel lines. Is he around?

    I know this may be a non-issue for many of you who desire better braking potential, but about how much more would a TypeR brake setup (rotors and caliper) weigh than a stock brake setup (per wheel)?

  6. #6
    Inactive Member 217gsr's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 22nd, 2001
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    After talking to Ryan at fastbrakes.com, I've decided to go with this combination. . .

    stock sized rotors and calipers
    goodridge stainless steel brake lines
    Neo brake fluid

    and maybe some EBC Green brake pads. That combination should help with pedal feel and better initial bite.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •